Friday, 21 November 2014

21st November:

Well I was awake early mainly I think because of nerves, I know I did it last year but travelling alone is not something I am used to and to be honest the passport business has got to me a little. Most of you now know though that I opened a small drawer next to the bed which has been opened and checked many, many times and there in a bag was my passport, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry so did both!

Now came the question what to do about the tall, bearded guy with glasses that was coming to meet me at Orlando airport to conduct an interview and issue me with a temporary emergency passport. I rang the number given and went through to London and the Embassy there, I explained the situation and asked the lady to pass on the news to Orlando, she obviously did because as I hadn't heard back I rang the number again a few hours later and spoke to the gentleman who was coming to meet me..... everyone was charming and very helpful and in the end it only cost me $12 for the passport photographs I had done.

The morning did drag a little but at least the sun was shining and I sat round the pool for a while but was restless so was ready for my 2.30 pick up from Peter, and Car on the Drive, the car hire might be more expensive but to me was worth every penny, I did say that I missed having central locking though, it is amazing how much of a nuisance not having it was. Was dropped off right by the Virgin desks and there was a bit of a 'line' but when I asked the guy if there were any seats available in Premier Class he put me in that line and said he would go look. There wasn't but I could stay in the queue and went immediately to the desk.......... good  job! Security was efficient too and I am now
here with a long wait before gate opens, plenty of people watching to do though.

Now the reason I decided to ask for an upgrade was twofold, by finding my passport I saved a lot of money, probably over £300 and also I get my first OAP payment next week so I thought why not treat
myself, I have worked hard for the past three weeks and with an overnight flight I had hoped to get some sleep, I do have an emergency exit seat in the upstairs which is much quieter. Hey Jane and Viv,
I wonder if I will get the same flight attendants now my luck has changed.

Home now, arrived back at midday after a very good flight, only managed about an hours sleep though. Managed to blag a glass of fizz though without even asking for one , lady flight attendant asked me if I had had a good holiday and when I explained it wasn't a holiday as such and told her about  GKTW she said oh we had a family on yesterday who were going there and told the other stewardess to fetch me a glass of bubbly! Sat next to a young lady who was also a type 1 diabetic so we had plenty to talk about , the time passed very quickly and we landed at 830 and I was in the car and on my way home by 920. Thanks  Ian 

Went out almost immediately and we met up with Hanna, Lucy, Mark, Evie and Martha in, yes you guessed it, Costa and lovely it was too.  Off to babysit Martha for the first time tonight, she has really changed since I went away, very interested in what was going on and chewing on everything, two teeth now as well. Evie was sticking her Frozen stickers all over us, very impressed that there were 300, not bad for a dollar from Tarjei aka Target.

Well my blog for this years trip is now at an end and I have again had a wonderful time, a great charity that really makes a difference. Can't help but feel proud to be part of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment