19th November:
Arrived at the village this morning ready and willing to be the train conductor, not a role I have done yet and must admit that being so cold today I wasn't looking forward to it much but when I arrived I was told they had cancelled the train today as it was too cold for the children and would I please help out in the Gingerbread House serving breakfast. Now it didn't take me long to agree as at least I would be in the warm! As soon as I walked through the door, Phil, (a Brit, originally from Warwickshire) said, "morning Lorna", would you please be a server in the hot food area, now out of the cold and into the steam suited me fine so of course I said yes! Today's food looked a little more appealing although the combinations still bemuse me, cheese omelette, fried potatoes, baked ham, biscuits, gravy and grits....., I was asked what grits were by one family, the answer I was given by another volunteer was it is like wallpaper paste, and I must admit that is what the looked like!
The gravy was sausage gravy and looks like a white sauce with lumps in it!!!! The biscuits and gravy went down a bomb today, kept having to ask for refills. Funny but this time I have done 3 different breakfast shifts and they are completely different due to the team and the team leader, would not choose to do a Tuesday again but the people today and Thursday are lovely and worked well together. The breakfast shifts seem to be done by regulars who are a little territorial and do it their way and their way only, understandable I know but it can be a little itimidating for the likes of myself.
Now as arranged yesterday I waited for Wendy, my saviour from Quebec, who kindly drove me to the Consulate office on Tuesday and had invited me out to her and her husband's time share condo in Star Island for lunch, and a trip around to see the Floridian Hotel from Downtown Disney as that is where the guest buses run from - a tip for people that come to Florida and want to explore different areas, go to Downtown Disney and get on the free buses or boats to travel from A - B, we did have a little trouble finding where the buses went from as there is a lot of building work going on to build new car parks but it really turned out to be a magical mystery tour. We did however find the bus and were taken to the Floridian Hotel which was very lovely and quite chic with a pianist playing at a grand piano, an orchestra that played big band music daily and lots of great looking restaurants at very inflated prices. It was a lovely afternoon, thank you Wendy and David for your kindness and hospitality!
I got back to my villa at 5 pm, managed to Skype Allan before dashing off the the village again for 6 pm for my third Village Idol evening. I have to say this was a great night, the children were very good, only two Frozen singers - and I had on my Frozen hat with plait attached in readiness too!! Dan, the guy who runs this event, was on top form and really made me laugh, even Ms Hitler was pleasant tonight. I was on Hand Prints with Jay, a lovely guy who was in Florida with his partner and was volunteering for the week while his man was at some exhibition. Got back to villa about 930 and will be slightly earlier to bed tonight, because as I left the village to come home, Velvet suggested that I should get there for 7 am as the road would be closed for another 'Fun' run, oh deep joy!
Was given hugs again by a family tonight, they are leaving early tomorrow morning for their flight home,
Oh my goodness, just looked the clock and it is 11 pm, I also looked in the mirror and there're a lot of bags under my eyes so am going to say goodnight now. My last day volunteering tomorrow until next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment