Thursday, 20 November 2014

20th November:

Well today was my last day volunteering at the Give Kids The World Village, I will be sorry to leave but also pleased to be going home to see my family, especially my grandchildren. I am fortunate as they are healthy, the children at the village less so but believe me when I say they all have a wonderful time and lots of memories are created there, I just hope that in some small way I have helped.

I did as instructed, and got there 40 minutes early for the breakfast shift, just as well I did as the roads were closed and quite a few volunteers did not arrive. Normally there are 28 per shift, today there were 15 of us serving approximately 400 breakfasts, very busy but everyone pulled together and the job was done. Worked as a server of the hot food again, today it was scrambled eggs, sausages, fried potatoes, biscuits, sausage gravy , pancakes, maple syrup and blueberry syrup. I think I have already described Mr Muscleman, yesterday he ate a huge stack of cheese omelettes, today his plate was piled high with scrambled eggs and sausages and biscuits and gravy... He got his own food and went to sit down and started eating leaving his slip of a wife to sort out the 3 children's breakfast by herself... I did ask her how she managed to feed him at home and she said he was a nightmare... not quite how I would have phrased it!

After the shift had finished I had a walk around with my camera, much easier to do in the day as the families go off to the parks, these photos will be added when I get home. The village is looking even prettier at night now as the Christmas decorations are going up, the villas are decorated inside and out too by the Elf Fairies so when the children get back from their day out, they come home to a huge
 surprise

Tonight, my last shift is Christmas, always poignant as some of the children might not be around by Christmas which is why this is a weekly event. Strange to actually put that down in writing because when you are here you really don't see ill children just lots of smiles and happiness. Of course some of the children look quite damaged but we all speak to them as normal asking if they had a great day and don't they look pretty/cool/ awesome etc.

Well I managed to be with Santa Claus again tonight helping the parents with their photographs and guiding the families through the procedure of Children first with Santa them the parents and sometimes the grandparents too and then sending them off to see the Elves for their presents - beautiful presents all donated by I think, Hambro Toys, they get to choose what they would like.

Now I didn't mention that I too had my picture taken with Santa, a really jolly fellow, he told me he is not allowed to sit any child on his knee and finds this quite difficult because some of the children cannot support themselves so he tells the parents that if they want they can put the child on his knee so they make the decision - seems a tricky subject and how sad is that.

One child had his letter written to give to Santa to ask him for a special gift for Christmas, Santa gave it to me to look after and I have it here, it says:-

To Father Christmas love  ----
Please can I have two factories and a boat that I saw in Florida.
I've been a very good, kind boy.
I hope you have a safe flight on Christmas Eve
Then there was drawing and a signature how can anyone beat that for an experience???

I have chatted to another Dad several times over the past few days, seems he moved with his family to America when he was a child and was born in Nottingham, a really lovely family and he admitted to being quite emotional tonight and yes we did hug each other, and he thanked me for being a volunteer; a special moment.

The one thing that has made an impression on me is by doing a lot of shifts over three weeks is that you get to see lots of the families and they notice that too, and are so appreciative.

Tonight I had hugs from staff and volunteers alike, took lots of photographs and will miss it all when I go home but can't wait to see my wonderful family too.

Here's hoping the tall, bearded, bespectacled man from the British Consulate is there tomorrow with my emergency passport as I have packed all my things and have not found my passport ..... a real mystery. Have checked in online, got my boarding pass, packed, done the laundry and will hopefully sleep tonight and have a morning by the pool, got a tan to work on!,,,

Thank you all the people that have made this another magical trip, too many to name it I hope to see  you all next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment